[cairo] Cairo in Google Summer of Code

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Tue Mar 18 05:04:47 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 05:22 -0400, Gerdus van Zyl wrote:

> All the sucessfull SoC projects I have seen were
> a) self contained unit - eg. something than does not touch too many
> existing code and can be written "seperately" and then integrated.
> (lookup-table-based rasterizer?)
> b) non controversial - this way the candidate does not fight a part of
> the community
> c) visible and fun - braggable results eg. I made cairo 20% faster!
> See this cool new thing people can do!

All good points.  But we're out of project ideas for cairo that fit into
those bills.  Care to suggest some?

And for the record, no, I don't think Summer of Code students can't do
top-notch code that spans across multiple subparts of the projects.
There are very top programmers that are students.  It's just about
attracting them to cairo.  We've done that before; there's no reason we
can't do it this time.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/