[cairo] GSoC project - XCB/Xlib merge

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Mar 19 16:35:11 PDT 2008

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:13:13 -0600, "Thomas Coppi" wrote:
> I am a potential GSoC student interested in the XCB/Xlib backend merge
> project.  I have previous experience using cairo's XCB backend in some
> of my own projects, although I don't have any experience with cairo
> internals.  I am very interested in seeing XCB become a first-class
> supported backend in the future.

Welcome, Thomas!

I think your interest in seeing cairo-xcb become a first-class backend
is excellent qualification!

> My questions right now are:
> 1. Is this project suitable for someone with no previous experience
> with cairo's internals(willing to learn though, of course :-)

Absolutely. There's not really a lot of magic in this project. It's
largely a matter of looking at two very similar files and extracting
out the common pieces so that they can share.

> 2. Is there a list of potential mentors for this project somewhere?

I think I could be a potential mentor. I don't know what other
projects might come up that could demand my time though. I'm also good
friends with both Bart Massey and Jamey Sharp, the original
designer/authors of XCB, (it pays to live in Portland!). And I'm sure
both of them would be interested in seeing this project happen. So
without having actually *talked* to either of them in this specific
context, I'm still willing to say they might be potential mentors, (or
certainly, they could find some other XCB expert).

So I really don't think there will be any trouble finding mentor
expertise for this one.

Thanks for your interest, and good luck!