[cairo] Operator optimization based on source or dest opacity

Antoine Azar cairo at antoineazar.com
Fri Mar 28 16:58:26 PDT 2008

Hey all,

I've been taken these past days, but here's a (hopefully) final version of
my patch to optimize operators based on source and/or dest opacity.

When I fetched the latest pixman, I saw to my surprise almost all the
performance gains were gone. This is due to the fact that the MMX fast paths
already incorporate some of the optimized cases for OVER/SOURCE (which are
the only two tested in our performance suite). I added two MMX fast paths
(in the second patch) which give nice performance boosts and do take
advantage of my first patch.
Also note that all other operators will benefit from this patch.

I'm also attaching some performance numbers.

Thanks a lot to Soren for reviewing my first patch.
Antoine