[cairo] [poppler] Printing with poppler on Windows

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed May 7 16:49:55 PDT 2008

On Wed, 7 May 2008 15:22:14 -0800, Bobby Salazar wrote:
> In my view, this is partly the fault of Cairo, since in Cairo it's
> not really Win32 font -- it's more like WinNT font because it lacks
> support for Win9x.

Would just require somebody writing code in cairo to make this work. I
don't know details, but it's something like a missing
SetWorldTransform function? So that might require a new fallback for
rotated or otherwise transformed text.

Patches welcome.

> Also, IIRC, David Turner submitted a patch over a year ago that
> allowed Cairo to build FreeType with or without fontconfig. If this
> patch was applied, I believe the problem would be resolved. In any
> case, FreeType doesn't need fontconfig for anything at all, so it
> would be prudent to allow building Cairo without fontconfig.

Right. This is (a fairly small) part of David Turner's big "cairo-ft
rewrite". Behdad is very anxious to get the whole thing landed into
cairo. He wasn't able to make that happen for cairo 1.6, but it's on
the roadmap for cairo 1.8 (first item on the list in fact!):

	http://cairographics.org/roadmap/