[cairo] Getting cairo.svg

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue May 13 11:19:25 PDT 2008

On Tue, 13 May 2008 11:19:26 -0500, Terry Hancock wrote:
> I've been searching for the correct package to download and install.
> What I need is for the cairo.svg package to be available in Python.
> Currently I get:

Hi Terry,

You're apparently working from stale example code. Cairo itself
doesn't include any facility for *parsing* SVG files, (as opposed to
creating them).

A very early version of the python bindings added this functionality
through a separate library, but this is totally obsolete. In fact,
we'd love to eliminate references to this if we can.

> These are also the latest packages that I can find with apt-cache, so I
> suspect that there aren't newer ones in the archive. Is that the problem?
>
> Or do I need a different package entirely?

We recommend the librsvg package as a way to parse SVG content and
render it with cairo. And it should have python bindings available as
well. Perhaps someone else on the list can point you to specific
package names.

Good luck, and have fun with cairo!