[cairo] Win32 fonts rendered without antialisasing on Win2K, with under Wine

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Nov 1 08:24:40 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm struggling to identify where I need to be looking next to debug this
further. I've got a GTK CAD application which I cross-compiled for
Windows, and have been testing it under wine. We're using pango + cairo
for text rendering.

Under Wine, it shows anti-aliased fonts on our drawing canvas, as on
Linux. When I copy the built tree to my Win2K partition and boot
windows, I find that the font outlines show no anti-aliasing. I don't
have any explicit options setting such options in the program, and I'm a
bit confused about why there is a difference in behaviours.

I half expected that I'd compiled freetype / pango / cairo with the
wrong options, but that doesn't explain why it renders differently under
wine.

I tried rebuilding pango + cairo without the freetype backend. (Trying
to ensure I knew which back end was ending up being used). I still get
no antialiasing, although I "think" the rendering might have changed
slightly in my GDK menus. (I don't have a development environment on the
Win2K partition, so doing side-by-side tests is rather awkward).

Any ideas?

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,