[cairo] Transform optimization

Antoine Azar cairo at antoineazar.com
Wed Nov 5 18:53:25 PST 2008

Good find André, I had noticed the exact same thing a while back.

I had sent a patch similar to yours, I've been wanting to clean it up and
resend it, but I'm bogged down in Win32 build problems.

However I had spent a good amount of time benchmarking my patch in various
conditions. Please have a look at the mail I sent on April 23rd:
http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2008-April/013905.html

I'm attaching here my original patch and the benchmark numbers I had. Jeff,
Soeren had already expressed the concern that minifying would be slowed
down, but I didn't observe that in my tests. The worst case was a 14%
performance decrease, compared to up to 3X performance increases. Most of
the minification tests showed no difference. Furthermore, if you have
bilinear filtering enabled, you gain even more from this optimization as the
likeliness of hitting the same pixels is higher.

Cheers,
Antoine