[cairo] mime-surface

Joe Drew joe at drew.ca
Wed Nov 19 12:52:40 PST 2008

On Nov 19, 2008, at 4:25 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:

> This pattern seems like a good fit for example usages like firefox,
> which keeps a cache of on-screen images decompressed and all other
> images compressed.

Yes, mime-surface seems like a natural fit. There is at least one
problem with it as-is, though: Firefox loads images as they stream in
on the wire; right now, it looks like mime-surface would require me to
repeatedly remove and re-add the mime data to update it.

Ideally, I'd be able to call a mime-surface function after receiving
data from the network that appends data to the mime-data, then
continues the decoding process. We also sometimes know the size of
images (and sometimes don't) when we're loading them, so we might or
might not provide that information to Cairo right away.

Joe