[cairo] Quartz bug with right-to-left and bidirectional text

Ben Schmidt mail_ben_schmidt at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 22 05:19:06 PST 2008

OK. Take some of that back.

It looks like it may be a Pango bug after all. Looks like Pango must
conditionally compile different code depending on whether the Cairo
Quartz backend is present or not. I had presumed it just linked to the
library and made the same API calls regardless of the Cairo backend.

I have managed to come up with a small test case. It's a pretty dirty
hack; it doesn't clean up after itself at all properly or anything like
that. It's kinda just relevant chunks of code from Vim, API docs and
examples all cobbled together with whatever variables seemed necessary
to make it work. I have barely any idea how it works. But it does work,
and it does expose the bug, and with few lines of code.

It seems the bug is that pango_shape ignores analysis.level of a Pango
itemisation, so this cannot be set to force text to be treated as
un-embedded and therefore force left-to-right rendering. The bug only
occurs when the Cairo Quartz backend is compiled in, though.

I suppose it's a somewhat unusual use case, but it is an important one,
and certainly the rendering should be backend-independent.

I'd appreciate it if someone could help ascertain whether this is indeed
a Pango bug (in which case I'll hop over and report it there) or a Cairo
bug. If it's a Cairo bug, I'd love it if we could get it into the bug
tracker and if it supports it, have me CCed when any progress is made on
it.

Test case attached (includes non-ASCII UTF-8 text), as well as
screenshots of the rendering with and without the Quartz backend.

Cheers,

Ben.