[cairo] Font issues in PS and PDF
angryzealot at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 20:42:44 PST 2008
Ah I see, I was not checking out the correct branch from your repository. I
got it now. I added the Makefile.win32.features and
Makefile.win32.features-h files manually after it complained about not
having them them. Now when it tries linking pixman-1.lib it complains that
it can't find 'release/cairo.dll' (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense
to me). Have I forgotten something simple?
This is all a little daunting for me after struggling to get even the stock
cairo release to build. Thank you for any help you can provide and for
looking at the font issue.
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 2:09 AM, Adrian Johnson <ajohnson at redneon.com>wrote:
> AngryZealot wrote:
>> I hope you will forgive my ignorance, but I am having difficulty compiling
>> your patches. I checked out the repository with Git but it does not seem to
>> contain the changes the web viewer shows. I dropped in the files from the
>> web browser into the 1.8.4 source, but this broke the build. Do you have a
>> version that is compatibile with the 1.8.4 release?
> You most likely checked out out the master repository instead of my
> repository. From the link I provided if you navigate up to the cgit main
> page of my repo there is a git clone url at the bottom of the page. My
> patches are in the "tag" branch so the commands to check out this branch
> git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~ajohnson/cairo
> cd cairo
> git checkout tag
>> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 6:56 AM, Adrian Johnson <ajohnson at redneon.com<mailto:
>> ajohnson at redneon.com>> wrote:
>> James Cloos wrote:
>> >>>>>> "AZ" == AngryZealot <angryzealot at gmail.com
>> <mailto:angryzealot at gmail.com>> writes:
>> > AZ> My project requires PS or PDF output that can be edited in Adobe
>> > AZ> Illustrator. ...
>> > AZ> A quick look at the ps backend makes me think the issue is
>> with font
>> > AZ> subsetting. The fonts are saved with the name "f-%d-%d" ...
>> > AZ> Illustrator naturally can't find a system font f-0-0, so it
>> > AZ> everything to outlines. If I manually edit the postscript file
>> > AZ> replacing f-0-0 with the appropriate font name, everything works
>> > AZ> beautifully, and Illustrator handles the text just fine.
>> > Most apps create subset font names by prepending six majuscule ASCII
>> > letters and a plus sign to the original font name, following Adobe's
>> > recomendation in the PDF reference. I'm sure Illustrator expects
>> > and would Do The Right Thing were cairo to also use that style.
>> > The norm is either a random string or some relevant digest
>> (perhaps of
>> > the font's version and the list of glyphs included in the subset).
>> > There are workflows where avoiding subsetting is required, so a
>> flag for
>> > that is useful. But it would also be useful to use the normal
>> method of
>> > naming font subsets.
>> > -JimC
>> I've have written a couple of patches for the PDF backend that prepends
>> the font tag and sets the /FontFamily key to the unmodified font name.
>> If this fixes the problem I can make the Type 1 and OpenType/CFF
>> subsetters also provide the original font name.
>> The patches are at:
>> cairo mailing list
>> cairo at cairographics.org <mailto:cairo at cairographics.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the cairo