[cairo] Rendering line fonts

Ian Britten britten at caris.com
Fri Nov 28 04:21:47 PST 2008

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

>> Now that I see what's going on, this begs the question:  Do I actually
>> *need* to use any of the user font stuff?
>
> This is a great question and it shows you really get what's going on now :).
> The reason is very simple: if you do glyph_path;stroke without user fonts, you
> get path in your PDF.  If you do it in user fonts, you get selectable text.

ding! ding!   The final piece falls into place, and I now "see".  :)
I can even imagine what all the user font stuff is probably doing
behind the scenes (eg: start font; custom path hook; end font),
and thus why it exists.

Behdad, my deepest thanks for all your patient help (Even when you
weren't sure where I was going)!  I think I've got many/most of the
pieces I need to implement most/all of our text features.  If you're
ever in eastern Canada, I owe you a drink!

Thanks also to the all the Cairo developers, for their great product!
Ian