[cairo] Struggling with subpixel text (last blocker for 1.8)

Bill Spitzak spitzak at thefoundry.co.uk
Fri Oct 3 19:02:44 PDT 2008

"subpixel rendering" is not just for fonts. It can certainly be used for
antialiasing of everything else Cairo draws. For that reason it makes a
lot more sense for Cairo to be doing it, not FreeType. All that is
needed from FreeType is images at a higher resolution (the input to the
filter).

Therefore, whatever the legal ramifications, this certainly should be
part of Cairo and turned on/off in it.

I believe you can avoid the patent by not filtering. This produces very
annoying color fringing. You can also use an error-diffusion method to
distribute the colors. Another technique I saw was to only use two
"subpixels", one of them is green and the other is magenta, this can
actually produce sharper images, and avoids the patented filter.

--
Bill Spitzak, Senior Software Engineer
The Foundry, 618 Hampton Drive, Venice, CA, 90291, USA