[cairo] Cairo over directfb

Chris Triebel ctriebel at sunriselabs.com
Tue Oct 7 09:01:30 PDT 2008

I'm working on an LH7A404 ARM embedded project where I want to use
pango/cairo to display rotated text to an LCD. I have directfb up and
working, but I haven't been able to get cairo to draw to a directfb surface.
I can provide sample code, but I'm inclined to think this is more of a case
that I'm not building everything correctly.

In the past I've seen pango/cairo draw to directfb at that time I think I
was working with earlier versions of all the related libraries. I've
upgraded virtually everything since then. Currently I'm working with cairo
1.8.0, pixman 0.12.0, Directfb 1.2.4 (I've also tried out 1.3 for this with
no change in behavior). I also tried to revert back to the previous builds
but I've lost something in the process and can't figure out how I made it
work before.

The intended goal is to display text with pango/cairo, but when I started
having trouble I backed off and attempted to produce cairo drawings. With
that not succeeding I also tried out several test programs the most notable
of which is from http://zetcode.com/tutorials/cairographicstutorial/, the
PNG image program from Cairo Backends. All it does is write some text to the
screen, and I replaced the text output with shape output. This program and
the variation compile and run fine on my Linux PC, but when I build it for
the arm board the program runs, produces the PNG file of the correct size,
but not text or shape output.

I believe that this is a build issue on my end, possibly linked to the fact
that directfb is not fully supported in the 1.8.0 release. I'm including an
excerpt of my configure and make targets in this in case something jumps out
at people.

configure: prepare

            ( cd $X; \

              export CC=$(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc ; \

              export CXX=$(CROSS_COMPILE)g++ ; \

              export AR="$(CROSS_COMPILE)ar" ; \

              export RANLIB=$(CROSS_COMPILE)ranlib ; \

              export STRIP=$(CROSS_COMPILE)strip ; \

              export CPPFLAGS="-I$(TOOLS_TARGET)/usr/include" ; \

              export CFLAGS="-DCAIRO_HAS_UTF8_TO_UTF16" ; \

              export LDFLAGS=-Wl,-rpath,$(TOOLS_TARGET)/usr/lib ; \

              export ac_cv_lib_z_compress=yes ; \

              export cairo_cv_pdf_use=yes ; \

              export have_libz=yes ; \

              ax_cv_c_float_words_bigendian=no \

              ./configure \

                                    --host=arm-linux\

                                    --prefix=/usr\

                                    --enable-directfb=yes\

                                    --enable-freetype=yes\

                                    --enable-ft=yes\

                                    --enable-xlib=no\

                                    --enable-xlib-xrender=no\

                                    )

build: configure

            ax_cv_c_float_words_bigendian=no \

            $(MAKE) -C $X test

            ax_cv_c_float_words_bigendian=no \

            $(MAKE) -C $X all

  The information in this email and its attachment(s) are intended for
  the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and should be assumed to contain
  confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended
  recipient be aware that any review, disclosure, copying, modifying,
  distribution, or use of this information is prohibited.  If you have
  received this email in error, please forward this message and notify
  Sunrise Labs, Inc. immediately at postmaster at sunriselabs.com