[cairo] Performance of rendering long, angled lines in Cairo

Giles Westerfield esoteric at washington.edu
Fri Oct 31 13:34:52 PDT 2008

Thank you Carl and Vlad for your helpful explanations.  I'm also very
impressed with the general activity on the mailing list.

After reading your explanations, a lot of issues I've been noticing (in
addition to the ones I previously mentioned) make more sense.  I am indeed
doing a lot of drawing at non-integer pixel values.  It is a bit troubling
to hear that there isn't really an easy solution at this point, but it seems
I could do the following things to improve performance:

1.  Before doing any drawing, translate the entire surface by .5 pixels
horizontally and vertically so that even integer values land on the
boundaries between pixels and not in the middle of pixels.  Also, I should
use only integer values for line widths.

2.  Break long diagonal lines up into smaller diagonal lines so that the
overall needless computation is lowered.

Any other ideas?  Should I keep antialiasing off?  Is it worth updating from
1.8.0 to the most recent 1.8.2 with respect to these issues?

Thanks again for your help!

Giles