[cairo] Win32 Building

Vladimir Vukicevic vladimir at pobox.com
Fri Oct 31 16:22:24 PDT 2008

On 10/31/08 4:07 PM, Carl Worth wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 18:55 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> When I was writing it, asking on #cairo suggested that no one does this, given
>> how hard it is to get git running on win32.  If we want to make it work with
>> that setup we need to store the generated .win32 files in git.  We generally
>> don't include any generated files in git, but not a big deal if people find it
>> useful.
>
> We entirely own the generating machinery, right? And it shouldn't change
> unless we actually add files to the Makefile.am?
>
> In that case, I *might* be convinced to add the generated files, but it
> would be really annoying.
>
> Travis, if we are going to assume a user with git on their Windows
> machine, then what other tools can we also assume they have? A bash
> interpreter? Anything else?

I think it's reasonable to require that if someone is building from a
source snapshot (whether from git or obtained some other way), and not
from an official release tarball, they'll have at least a generic
unix-like shell environment available (bash, gmake, sed, etc.).

As long as the final release tarballs can build without that machinery
on win32, it's fair game for developers, IMO.  With some work we could
even make the standard ./configure && make process work on win32
(mozilla uses autoconf, though it doesn't use any of the other auto*
machinery), but I don't think that's time well spent since the system we
have currently seems to work.

> I'm just wondering how hard it would be to provide the generating
> machinery to such users.

If the Makefile.win32's were to notice that the files are missing and
would run whatever scriptery necessary to generate them, that'd be
ideal, IMO.

      - Vlad