[cairo] bugs building on Centos

Vladimir Vukicevic vladimir at pobox.com
Fri Sep 5 22:25:48 PDT 2008

On Sep 5, 2008, at 9:33 PM, Toth Alexandru wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build cairo on a shared server, without root access.
> Got the latest pixman.0.11.8 and cairo.1.64 versions. Pixman build
> goes fine (./configure --prefix=/home/alex/pixman + make + make
> install)
>
> Cairo configure does not work as expected with
> ./configure --prefix=/home/alex/cairo --with-pixman=/home/alex/pixman

I don't think that --with-pixman does anything, however ./configure --
help will tell you that you can set 'pixman_CFLAGS' and 'pixman_LIBS'
to override pkg-config for the right compile/linker flags for pixman.

> Unintuitive as it is, managed to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/alex/pixman

It would need to be PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/alex/pixman/lib/pkgconfig --
I'm not sure how configure found anything given that path...

> Still, it can't find the pixman headers : "cairoint.h:67:20: error:
> pixman.h: No such file or directory"
>
> In /home/alex/pixman/include there is one more folder pixman-1 ?????
>
> Did not manage to pass to ./configure the location of pixman
> headers . Had to manually copy the headers into cairo scr and got
> going

> Now got the linker error:
>
> *** Warning: Linking the shared library libcairo.la against the
> *** static library ..//home/alex/pixman/pixman-0.11.8/libpixman-1-
> so.a is not portable!
>
> Please advise how to compile

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/alex/pixman/lib/pkgconfig ./configure --prefix=/
home/alex/cairo

Though I would suggest using the same basedir for both, e.g.:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/alex/base
cd pixman; ./configure --prefix=/home/alex/base; make install; cd ..
cd cairo; ./configure --prefix=/home/alex/base; make install; cd ..

> (And a very strong negative feedback to cairo and pixman developers
> about of pixman-1 and using the PKG_CONFIG_PATH instead of ./
> configure params)

As much as I dislike pkgconfig, it is far more flexible and easier to
work with than dozens of configure flags.  configure params for
libraries went the way of the dodo years ago.

    - Vlad