[cairo] gobject boxed types

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara luizmed at oi.com.br
Sat Sep 13 06:20:18 PDT 2008

Colin Walters wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We had a short discussion about this on #gtk+ a few days ago.
> Basically, it would greatly help the GObject-based stack above Cairo
> (GTK+, HippoCanvas, GooCanvas, Clutter, etc.) if we had official
> GObject "boxed" types for Cairo objects.
>
> This is necessary because the GTypes are used in things like signals
> to specify argument types, and language bindings need that data.  Now,
> one possibility Matthias Clasen suggested would be to put these in
> GDK, which would be somewhat tricky from a layering perspective
> (neither Pango nor Clutter for example currently depend on GDK as far
> as I know), but might be workable.  Another possibility is to put them
> in Cairo itself, optionally enabled.
>
> Just to be extremely clear the goal is not to have cairo hard depend
> on GLib in any way - for example Mozilla on Windows/OS X and any other
> embedded type cases would ship with this off and things should be
> fine. I do expect however that freedesktop.org/Linux OS vendors and
> the like would ship with this enabled.

Currently i use cairo in windows without dependency to glib or gtk. From
what you said it will be possible to build cairo without glib dependency
but the build that comes with gtk will be linked to glib.

The problem is that my users and i download cairo from gtk
(http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html), so i would have to build
cairo myself  or find a glib free cairo binary elsewhere.

Luiz