[cairo] gobject boxed types

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Sun Sep 14 00:33:41 PDT 2008

Am 13.09.08, 13:38 -0400 schrieb Colin Walters:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic <vladimir at pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hmm.. my biggest problem with this is that it's essentially putting a
> > language binding into Cairo -- a binding to the glib type system.  No other
> > language binding is present inside Cairo.  However, I do understand that
> > there are a lot of glib-using projects for which this would be beneficial.
> >  Why not put this in an entirely separate (and simple) cairo-glib library?
>
> Right; we can do that, the reason I wanted to try this first though is
> because the cairo-glib library would right now be entirely composed of
> six 4 line functions to register types.

Making each application, using Cairo, practical dependent to Glib, appears
not nice for non Gtk applications. A Cairo package would nearly always
depend on glib, which makes things like the before mentioned independence
and upgrading more complicated.
I'd agree, as a non core function this seems better exposed in a higher
layer.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--