[cairo] gobject boxed types

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sun Sep 14 11:57:04 PDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Havoc Pennington <hp at pobox.com> wrote:

> Johan suggested on IRC that the patch to cairo could be changed to use
> dlopen to grab the copy/free functions lazily, to avoid a compile-time
> dependency on glib (and also avoid a runtime dependency, if running in
> an app that doesn't link to glib). It's still a hack, but a working
> and maintainable one, and it doesn't imply a new module to maintain /
> link to just for 4 trivial functions, and doesn't mess up the
> dependency graph.

Right, this was actually my first thought.  But it doesn't address
where GIO+cairo using functions would land.  I'm not sure how
important those are - maybe we could put those in Pango.

> I'd be willing to do something similar for DBUS_TYPE_CONNECTION, etc.
> in libdbus, it seems like a decent solution in general.

Yeah, though dbus is special enough that it cries out for completely
custom language bindings, and it doesn't tend to be exposed by other
libraries (by signals, methods etc.), with the notable exception of
Telepathy*.

Any opinion from the GObject side on the option of putting them in
Pango?  We already have things like a PangoCairoFont GInterface in
there.