[cairo] gobject boxed types

Vladimir Vukicevic vladimir at pobox.com
Sun Sep 14 18:45:28 PDT 2008

On Sep 14, 2008, at 7:09 AM, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Johan suggested on IRC that the patch to cairo could be changed to use
> dlopen to grab the copy/free functions lazily, to avoid a compile-time
> dependency on glib (and also avoid a runtime dependency, if running in
> an app that doesn't link to glib). It's still a hack, but a working
> and maintainable one, and it doesn't imply a new module to maintain /
> link to just for 4 trivial functions, and doesn't mess up the
> dependency graph. The dlopen could be of NULL not libgobject.so
> (assume the app has already loaded the library), so no tricky issues
> about finding the thing to dlopen would arise.

I don't understand the concern about "doesn't mess up the dependency
graph" -- there are already a dozen libraries that get linked to any
glib-using app -- why does one more hurt, especially when it would be
a natural place for other things to go?  (e.g. the GdkRegion stuff
that was mentioned earlier)

     - Vlad