[cairo] Re : internal cairo include syntax seems not flexible enough, backward-compatible fix proposal.

Fabien Costantini fab672000 at yahoo.fr
Sat Sep 20 13:42:37 PDT 2008

Behdad wrote:
>>Fabien Costantini wrote:
>> Replace all cairo internal includes syntax using "" instead of <> when the include file concerned is in the cairo include directory.
>I made this change back in May.  Will be in 1.8.  But now I wonder if I should
>not have done that.  Code having #include <cairo/cairo.h> is wrong as far as
>cairo API is concerned.

IHMO, it is _not_ wrong, it is simply not possible today because internal includes are indeed wrong.
You can easily check that my suggestion makes possible both constructions <cairo/cairo.h> and <cairo.h>.
Last but not least, it *prevents* adding an useless include path in most cases...
Now, if you think of the current include scheme, cairo shoots its users in the the foot as it prevents users to choose how they want to use the lib. BTW, just to be sure, I just patched the internal includes as I explained and it just works fine in both cases.

So  what would be this good reason why you would prevent such a functionality to work as it already does in so many libs ? Just curious, as I see no advantages, just what looks for me like a bug in the current implementation.

Fabien