[cairo] Reducing PNG Image Size

Simon Budig simon at budig.de
Wed Sep 24 12:45:03 PDT 2008

Carl Worth (cworth at cworth.org) wrote:
> If you find what pngcrush is doing to be acceptable, (and you can find
> out exactly what that is), then you might just do something similar with
> the image surface data yourself before saving the results.

AFAIK pngcrush is lossless as well. It just tries different compression
schemes in a brute-force way and then picks the best one.
pngcrush generally does not index the image data. All it does is trying
different row-to-row encoding schemes ("Compression Filters",
http://www.w3.org/TR/PNG-Filters.html ) and looks which works best.

PNG for me generally compresses better than GIF when working on indexed
data.

Bye,
       Simon
--