[cairo] Struggling with subpixel text (last blocker for 1.8)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Sep 25 12:51:16 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 15:41 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Doh.  I'm sure I asked you the other time and you said you have subpixel all
> over your desktop.  You have been running older cairo?

I might have been. That's truly embarrassing and definitely a failing on
my part...

> I thought I walked over this all in detail with you around the 1.6 release
> time and we had reached a consensus that this is the right thing to do.

I definitely didn't understand that users would lose functionality. If
you explained that, then I'm sorry I missed it.

> I just wish you have had followed what's going on and have raised your
> concerns weeks earlier.  Not after multiple people spent hours if not days
> carrying the work forward, not the day a major release is due out.

I'm really sorry about this one. I just hadn't realized what the change
meant. I definitely did express general misgivings about the lcd-filter
work from the beginning, (not grasping the justification for it), but
you did convince me it was justified. I just didn't realize it came with
this behavioral regression.

The best thing we had here was that the test suite noticed the change
right when the commit first went in. So our biggest failing was not
using the test suite well, (letting it get so full of failures that we
just ignored them, and not having any automated system running it). I
hope to never get in that state again, which is one reason for the big
push to get the failure count way down.

> Whatever makes you get 1.8.0 out today, just go for it.

OK. My rip-the-code-out patch last night was quick and at my most tired
point. Would you review that to see if I didn't do it a horrible way?

Thanks,