[cairo] A theme (and challenge) for 1.8.2: Eliminating XFAILs!

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Sep 25 16:37:02 PDT 2008

So we finally got 1.8.0 out. Congratulations, everybody! I think it
really is a fantastic release.

And I'm happy that we've got the test suite into such a great state. I
can now get 0 failures on my system, (one unexpected PASS even), with:

	DISPLAY= make test

The xlib failures I just ignored. I know that there are at least some X
driver bugs there, (and for me using Intel graphics I'm on the hook for
those bugs). So I'll be fixing those up soon.

Meanwhile, I know that people have various cool features that they
really want to land. But I want to ask for some restraint, and have
everyone wait before landing new features on master, (go crazy with your
personal trees of course). Instead I'd like for us all to focus on
cleaning up some known bugs and get out a 1.8.2 release soon with many
fixes. The goal is to have no remaining XFAIL tests.

Here's the current list of expected failures:

	alpha-similar
	big-line
	big-trap
	bitmap-font
	degenerate-path
	device-offset-scale
	extend-pad
	filter-nearest-offset
	filter-bilinear-extents
	large-source
	long-lines
	miter-precision
	operator
	operator-alpha
	self-copy-overlap
	self-intersecting
	surface-pattern
	surface-pattern-big-scale-down
	surface-pattern-scale-down$
	surface-pattern-scale-up

So that's 20 failures. What do you think? Can we fix 2 per week and ship
a failure-free 1.8.2 in 10 weeks?

Who's with me? (It should be lots of fun...)