[cairo] Errors building Cairo and Pixman under Cygwin

John C. Turnbull ozemale at ozemail.com.au
Sat Apr 11 23:31:37 PDT 2009

Hi Vladimir,

> Do you actually need a cygwin dll, or are you just trying to get a
> normal (non-cygwin) cairo dll?  If the latter, the win32 build pieces
> should be mostly set up already; see README.win32 in the toplevel cairo
> source directory.  Note that this builds with Visual C++; the free
> Express edition works if you don't have Visual Studio.

I am just trying to get a "normal" Windows Cairo DLL.

Now, following the instructions...

"it should be possible to build pixman simply by entering
the pixman/src directory and typing:

    make -f Makefile.win32 CFG=release"

So I tried this:

$ make -f Makefile.win32 CFG=release
Setting MMX flag to default value 'on'... (use MMX=on or MMX=off)
Setting SSE2 flag to default value 'on'... (use SSE2=on or SSE2=off)
/bin/sh: cl: command not found
make: *** [release/pixman-image.obj] Error 127

Why does it have to be so difficult?

Thanks,

John