[cairo] Errors building Cairo and Pixman under Cygwin

John C. Turnbull ozemale at ozemail.com.au
Sun Apr 12 03:26:20 PDT 2009

Hi Tor,

> How hard is it to check with objdump -p or link -dump -imports, or
> just attempt to build a dummy program that calls some cairo function
> and see if it runs? You would see that libcairo-2.dll depends on
> libpng12-0.dll and zlib1.dll in addition to normal system DLLs.

It's probably harder than you think.  My project involves a number of
libraries and, at the moment, I am getting numerous unresolved links which
may or may not be from Cairo and its dependencies.  If I can be sure that
the list you have specified is the entire list required by Cairo it will go
a long way to assisting me in hunting down the causes for the unresolved
links.  It may sound a bit lame to you but you have to remember that I am
completely new to this entire environment and just knowing where to look is
often the most difficult part.

> As I tried to explain, pkg-config is a tool used at build time only,
> so there is no run-time dependency on it anywhere.

OK, I have got that now.

> And cairo can not really depend on GLib as cairo is intended to be
> usable also in software that has no relationship to GLib.

Good to know.

> The same that the ".2" represents in the typical name of the cairo
> shared library on Linux systems, libcairo.so.2. It is a libtool
> versioning convention. If/when some future cairo version no longer is
> binary compatible, its DLL name will have another number.

Thanks for the info,

John