[cairo] order of circles in radial gradients

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Aug 4 21:29:47 PDT 2009

If I make the "start circle" contain the "end circle" and use a
non-repeating gradient with EXTEND_PAD, then on X at least I get a solid
fill with the first stop color. There doesn't seem to be anything in the
documentation justifying this behaviour:
http://cairographics.org/manual/cairo-pattern.html#cairo-pattern-create-radial
although in truth the documentation doesn't say much about radial gradients
at all.

The Quartz backend treats the circles symmetrically, so it draws the
gradient moving inward from the start circle to the end circle, with the
first stop color filling outside the start circle and the last stop color
filling inside the end circleThis seems a little more logical to me.

What is the correct behaviour?

Rob
53:5-6]