[cairo] Virtual surface

M Joonas Pihlaja jpihlaja at cc.helsinki.fi
Sun Aug 9 08:49:34 PDT 2009

Hi Mike,

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009, Mike Emmel wrote:

> Hi all I have a good start on a virtual surface backed by a real surface.

> I've found it very useful for scaled widgets virtual screens and other
> cases where you wan't the hard clipping provided by a surface and
> other surface features but don't want a buffer or image surface. Such
> as when the backing surface is already buffered.

I scanned through the code real quick and it looks like it's all about
proxying methods for another surface and also letting the user set the
size and scale of the new surface.  As far as I can tell, that's all
it does though.  Did I miss something else?  I'm a little confused as
to what purpose the virtual surface has and what exactly is "virtual"
about it.

I'm also not sure what you mean by using this virtual surface for
clipping.  Isn't it cairo_clip()'s purpose in life to clip your
drawing for you?

TIA,

Joonas