[cairo] Quartz stroking

Andrea Canciani ranma42 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 05:31:03 PDT 2009

Recently I did some work on the quartz backend. In particular I
noticed it handles stroking with non-solid and non-pattern sources by
clipping to the path constructed by
CGContextReplacePathWithStrokedPath.
Please review the attached test and examine the results in your environment.
On my iBook the image backend produces the expected result (i.e.
antialiased lines differ from unantialiased lines but solid-white
lines are equals to image-white lines), whereas quartz outputs "wrong"
or at least strange images: the width of the lines depends on what the
source is.
I think that the quartz backend should be fixed by always using
CGStrokePath (using an appropriate CGPattern) and I will prepare a
patch to do this (or another fix, if somebody suggests a better
solution) unless the current behaviour is expected (in this case it
should probably be documented somewhere).
Thank you for your attention
Andrea Canciani