[cairo] Quartz stroking

Andrea Canciani ranma42 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 10:46:55 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Vladimir Vukicevic<vladimir at pobox.com> wrote:
> Odd; can you attach the actual images?  It sounds like something is wrong
> with the stroke width/matrix, not with using ReplacePathWithStrokedPath.
Here is the output I get running the test on image and quartz.
I'm running on 10.5, but I expect the same result to appear in
previous versions.
Can you please check whether you get the same output?

>> I think that the quartz backend should be fixed by always using
>> CGStrokePath (using an appropriate CGPattern) and I will prepare a
>> patch to do this (or another fix, if somebody suggests a better
>> solution) unless the current behaviour is expected (in this case it
>> should probably be documented somewhere).
>
> CGPatterns are quite slow, and require extra memory tracking work; they
> should really be avoided if possible.
Are they slow just because in cairo they are created converting a
cairo surface to a CGImage and then drawing it or would they be slow
in any case (even if they were just wrappers for shadings, for
example)?
Thank you for your reply
Andrea