[cairo] basic question?

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Wed Aug 19 07:49:23 PDT 2009

Excerpts from Carl Worth's message of Wed Aug 19 15:33:01 +0100 2009:
> And above that, there can be fallbacks in cairo as well. A few times
> people have proposed patches to make cairo get noisy when it does
> fallbacks. I'm not sure that any of that is in cairo master at this
> point.
>
> So yes, we definitely have room to improve some tools here. (Queue
> Chris telling me what I missed as well as the great plans he has in
> this area...)

I've said this once already (but that reply was eaten by postfix,
which in turn was promptly shown /dev/null) - tracepoints!

Currently, we have a compile-time switch in xlib to make it noisy upon
fallbacks, though that's a pretty rare event nowadays (using git
everything + tweaks!). However that only catches the cases where we
cannot use an existing RENDER protocol to handle our composition - and
misses our missed performance opportunities.

My grand plan here is basically to add tracepoints to the entire gfx
stack, from the kernel to cairo, and through pixman and Xorg.
And I want a pony.
-ickle