[cairo] Road to 1.10

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 10:29:10 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 12:07 -0600, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Either we should release it in four weeks timeframe or skip the upcoming GNOME
> release and aim for after GUADEC (~July/August).  I think we have enough good
> stuff and in good shape for a release by the end of month.

The big feature that I think will make a difference on the desktop is
snapshot-cow and I'd like to include that in our next release.

> Chris, since you brought it up, can you be bothered to enumerate all API
> changes since 1.8 for final review?

This is what I've found from diffing the headers since 1.8...

API additions:

  cairo_surface_set_mime_data()
  cairo_surface_get_mime_data()

    Associate an alternate, compressed, representation for a surface.
    Currently:
     "image/jpeg" is understood by PDF,PS,SVG,win32-printing.
     "image/png" is understood by SVG.

  cairo_pdf_version_t
  cairo_pdf_surface_restrict_to_version()
  cairo_pdf_get_versions()
  cairo_pdf_version_to_string()
    Similar to restrict to version and level found in SVG and PS, these
    limit the features used in the output to comply with the PDF
specification
    for that version.

  CAIRO_STATUS_INVALID_SIZE
    Indicates that the request surface size is not supported by the
backend.
    This generally indicates that the request is too large.

  The built-in twin font is now called "@cairo:" and supports a limited
set
  of options like "@cairo:mono". Where are these specified?

  cairo_in_fill() now uses flash semantics... OTOH, top and left are
outside.

New experimental backends:

   Simple DirectMedia Layer
   CairoScript