[cairo] [Intel-gfx] Guidance on speed for various GL operations with Intel HW

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 06:54:17 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 17:42 +0000, Peter Clifton wrote:
> I'm writing a GL frontend for the gEDA/PCB electronic CAD software for
> circuit board design, and since both my laptops so far have had Intel
> GPUs (by deliberate choice), I'm trying to target the code such that it
> will work quickly on these cards (945 and GM45).

[snip]

> The other usage I'm making of stencil buffers, is that we draw polygons
> with holes cut out of them. The GLU tessellator gets really bogged down
> if you hand it the whole thing to chew on, so I found it is faster to
> use bit in the stencil buffer to mask out where the holes are before
> filling the whole outer contour with triangles.

Hi Peter, going slightly off-topic...

I know that you've talked about using Cairo in the past, I presume in
this task, so I was wondering how it compares. Layout of 2D objects and
compositing of translucent layers is where Cairo should shine. In
particular, I'm interested in looking over a cairo-trace of your layout
engine to analyse the bottlenecks within Cairo.

Thanks.
-ickle