[cairo] using ARGB32 surfaces with pygame

Jayesh Salvi jayeshsalvi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 23:27:53 PST 2009

Thanks Bill.

So if I get you correctly, what's happening is cairo is creating color
info in ARGB format. pygame is interpreting it as BGRA, because of the
byte-order difference. The code I am using is swapping 0th and 2nd
color, i.e. B and R - thus leading to RGBA. That's the format I am
feeding to pygame.image.frombuffer.

It sounds like it is inevitable to do this operation when using cairo
with pygame. I will see how big performance impact it can cause, if at all.

For anyone interested, I at least managed to do the swapping without the
help of numpy. thanks to:
http://www.mail-archive.com/pygame-users@seul.org/msg01707.html

    def ARGBtoRGBA(self,str_buf):
        # cairo's ARGB is interpreted by pygame as BGRA due to
        # then endian-format difference this routine swaps B and R
        # (0th and 2nd) byte converting it to RGBA format.
        byte_buf = array.array("B", str_buf)
        num_quads = len(byte_buf)/4
        for i in xrange(num_quads):
            tmp = byte_buf[i*4 + 0]