[cairo] install issues on OS X 10.4

M Joonas Pihlaja jpihlaja at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Jul 1 02:59:40 PDT 2009

Hi Norman,

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009, Norman Khine wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to build cairo-1.8.8 from source, but get the following issues:
>
>  1) When configuring, poppler-glib is not found, here is the $
> ./configure output

[snip]

> poppler-glib          poppler-glib - GLib wrapper for poppler

IIRC it's actually looking for poppler-cairo and not poppler-glib when
it's looking for poppler.  It's only used when running the pdf surface
tests, so it's not necessary to build cairo with pdf support.

> Then I get this output at the end of ./configure

[snip]

Looks good to me.

> make returns the follwing error
>
> $ make
> /usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool: can't map file:
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.dylib ((os/kern) invalid argument)
> make[3]: *** [libcairo.la] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
[snip]

Ouch. Sorry, this one I don't know about.  Looks like your libtool
deity is angry. :| Is there anything obviously wrong with the
libX11.dylib file on your system (like, say, the file not existing?)

Joonas