[cairo] cairo without fontconfig revisited

cu cairouser at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 21 09:55:22 PDT 2009

I found the thread "Request: Separate FreeType and Fontconfig" and that
is the discussion I was referring to. Two things though:
1) I was not sure whether that thread came to a definite conclusion.
There were a few patches proposed but to the best of my understanding
they were for previous versions of Cairo. We are currently using 1.8.x
and it would be great to get a "definitive" patch.

2) I don't think there was a discussion on how to provide fonts or font
patterns to Cairo when fontconfig is not available. It would be great if
someone who has experience working with that could provide some help,
perhaps a code example etc.

Any help with that would be very much appreciated!