[cairo] cairo without fontconfig revisited

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Jul 22 11:26:59 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 14:20 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 07/21/2009 12:55 PM, cu wrote:
> > I found the thread "Request: Separate FreeType and Fontconfig" and that
> > is the discussion I was referring to. Two things though:
> > 1) I was not sure whether that thread came to a definite conclusion.
> > There were a few patches proposed but to the best of my understanding
> > they were for previous versions of Cairo. We are currently using 1.8.x
> > and it would be great to get a "definitive" patch.
>
> This is the commit: 3ec94f9b5917b8f71304c982bd153e5a810f3b12

Which you can view online here:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/cairo/commit/?id=3ec94f9b5917b8f71304c982bd153e5a810f3b12

and has the following commit message:

commit 3ec94f9b5917b8f71304c982bd153e5a810f3b12
Author: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org>
Date:   Tue Mar 17 00:53:30 2009 -0400

    Support compiling without fontconfig

    Adds a new, fake, fontconfig font backend.  Fontconfig can be disabled
    using --disable-fc, in which case the toy text API wont find fonts and
    the internal font will always be used.

    Also defines the feature macro CAIRO_HAS_FC_FONT.  The two fontconfig-specif
    functions in cairo-ft.h depend on that macro now.

> People are typically more willing if you show that you have done your homework.

I don't know, Behdad. You seemed awfully willing to help here in spite
of the fact that you didn't think there was enough homework done. ;-)

But really, cu did obviously search the archives, and did find the right
thread that does even describe the above commit:

http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2009-March/016765.html

So perhaps all that was unclear was where this patch finally ended up.

That commit is in the "master" branch, which means it appears in
checkouts from git as well as in the current 1.9.2 snapshot, (but not
yet in any release such as the latest 1.8.8).