[cairo] ask for advice about cairo's user_font

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Jul 22 12:16:21 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 09:33 +0800, flk1986 wrote:
> Hi :)
>   I am a newcomer in cairo.Now I have a problem ,I write this mail in
> order to get your help.

Hi there,

Thanks for raising this issue.

> My trouble is :
> I am using the "cairo's user_font" print  datas to pdf.
>  For example,I print "geez... cairo user-font" to pdf(my.pdf),
> in "my.pdf" you will see "geez... cairo user-font",
> but if you copy these datas to "my.txt",
> you will get "??eez... cairo user-font" ,the first character is lost
> (couldn't get right uft-8 code).

I've replicated this problem using the user-font test case in cairo's
test suite. I did that as follows:

	cd cairo/test
	make cairo-test-suite
	CAIRO_TEST_TARGET=pdf ./cairo-test-suite user-font
	evince output/user-font.pdf.argb32.out.pdf

Then I selected the first line of text and pasted into emacs running in
gnome-terminal. What I got was:

	0eez... cairo user-font

instead of:

	geez... cairo-user-font

(That's actually an ASCII '0' instead of an ASCII 'g'.)

Does anyone with more knowledge of cairo's PDF backend and the user-font
support want to look closer to see if this is a bug in cairo, the test,
evince or elsewhere? Behdad? Adrian?

Thanks again for the report,