[cairo] ask for advice about cairo's user_font

Ian Britten britten at caris.com
Thu Jul 23 09:37:56 PDT 2009

Carl Worth wrote:
>> I am using the "cairo's user_font" print  datas to pdf.
>>  For example,I print "geez... cairo user-font" to pdf(my.pdf),
>> in "my.pdf" you will see "geez... cairo user-font",
>> but if you copy these datas to "my.txt",
>> you will get "??eez... cairo user-font" ,the first character is lost
>> (couldn't get right uft-8 code).
>
> I've replicated this problem using the user-font test case in cairo's
> test suite. I did that as follows:

   [ snip ]

> (That's actually an ASCII '0' instead of an ASCII 'g'.)
>
> Does anyone with more knowledge of cairo's PDF backend and the user-font
> support want to look closer to see if this is a bug in cairo, the test,
> evince or elsewhere? Behdad? Adrian?

FYI - I believe I had run into something similar before, and Adrian
acknowledged a 'first-glyph' problem...
See point #2 on
http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo/2008-December/016047.html
[ Note that I have to draw my glyphs one-at-a-time, so each glyph is
a 'first-glyph' for me ... ]

I confess I haven't had time to re-test this issue, but I could if it
would help any (Although I'm only on 1.8.8, not 1.9)

Ian