[cairo] cairo without fontconfig revisited

cu cairouser at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 23 12:35:27 PDT 2009

Thanks, all - and indeed I was primarily unclear as to where the patch
is. However, more importantly, it appears that Cairo 1.9.2 has a
configure option to disable fontconfig, as it turns out. So we took a
plunge and switched to 1.9.2 on the platform where fontconfig gave most
trouble. The new method works just fine and we have a much better
control of the fonts we are using.

The other issue was usage of the direct FreeType API. It is in the cairo
API description, but there are no examples as far as I could see. It
turned out to be very manageable but some additional documentation on
the topic (perhaps a code snippet showing
FT_New_Face/cairo_ft_font_face_create_for_ft_face/cairo_scaled_font_create
would be helpful).

Somewhat tangentially, it appears that once scaled font is created based
on unscaled font, the unscaled font can be safely destroyed?

Thanks!