[cairo] How to remove cairo's libstdc++ dependency?

M Joonas Pihlaja jpihlaja at cc.helsinki.fi
Thu Jul 23 21:24:34 PDT 2009

Hi,

Since including the Qt surface code into cairo master the autotools
are convinced we need to be linked using a C++ compiler even if the Qt
surface isn't enabled.  This adds a dependency to libstdc++ to
libcairo which to me at least is an unwelcome one.  It looks like
we've had this issue before as well with the BeOS backend, and in that
case the (imho kludgy) solution was just to comment out the backend
from the sources list.

So I spent a while trying to understand why automake thinks we need a
C++ compiler to link and got as far as becoming very confused about
our build system.  It appears to first think we're okay not to use C++
compiler to link and then in a second phase of automagic it backs up
and decides we need one after all.  If anyone has any ideas on how to
get around this issue beyond "go bug the automake people", please do
tell. :)

Joonas