[cairo] How to remove cairo's libstdc++ dependency?

M Joonas Pihlaja jpihlaja at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Jul 24 01:38:37 PDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Koen Kooi wrote:

> On 24-07-09 06:24, M Joonas Pihlaja wrote:
>
> Would passing -Wl,-as-needed work in this case?

Yes!  This actually does work with the GNU linker if the flag is
passed early enough on the link line.  There's a slight problem with
libtool though since it shuffles the flags to put the -Wl,--as-needed
near the end of the link line.  Even if libtool could be coerced to
not put the --as-needed near the end of the link line, I'm a little
wary of using it for cairo since I came across these warnings on the
internet on Gentoo's page about --as-needed:

"Note: There are known issues with ld shipped with binutils series
2.16, and early 2.17 prereleases. If you feel like trying this flag,
you have to use at least version 2.17, that has all the fixes needed
to have --as-needed behave correctly. Please note that 2.17.50.0.2
version is not working as one might expect and is, in regard to
--as-needed, older than 2.17, as it misses a few important fixes."

"Warning: At the time of writing, there are many packages failing in
funny ways because of --as-needed as they weren't designed to be used
with it. While there shouldn't be (note the conditional) problems such
as crashes, this flag is not considered safe for production use"

The other thing is that it doesn't solve the problem for non-GNU based
systems or tool chains.

Other than that, it does work. :-}

Joonas