[cairo] Pixman ARM Performance

Siarhei Siamashka siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 12:59:06 PDT 2009

On Friday 24 July 2009, Koen Kooi wrote:
> On 24-07-09 18:53, Siarhei Siamashka wrote:
> > Right now we are shooting in the dark and still have
> > problems (not having -mfloat-abi option is also not good for current
> > toolchains).
>
> I still don't see what the problem is for someone to put their floatabi
> in CFLAGS.

Because this someone may want to compile all pixman code with -mfloat-abi=soft
and just 'pixman-arm-neon.c' with -mfloat-abi=softfp.

Why would someone want it? In order to get a binary which can run everywhere
starting from armv4t, but at the same time could make use of neon
optimizations where they are supported. Think about binary distributions
which target lowest common denominator.

I myself also don't need this feature at all. But pixman already has it
partially working on ARM (and fully working on x86 and PPC). It would be nice
to either drop cpu features autodetection completely for ARM, or implement it
in a way which actually works right.

> If setting CFLAGS is too hard for people I wonder why they
> are trying to build from source anyway.

You just don't need runtime autodetection feature, that's the source of all
the misunderstanding.

--
Best regards,
Siarhei Siamashka