[cairo] Pixman ARM Performance

Jacob Bramley Jacob.Bramley at arm.com
Mon Jul 27 02:01:57 PDT 2009

Koen Kooi wrote:
> On 24-07-09 18:53, Siarhei Siamashka wrote:
>> Right now we are shooting in the dark and still have
>> problems (not having -mfloat-abi option is also not good for current
>> toolchains).
>
> I still don't see what the problem is for someone to put their floatabi
> in CFLAGS. If setting CFLAGS is too hard for people I wonder why they
> are trying to build from source anyway.

Neither the README nor the INSTALL documents explain this, and for users
who aren't familiar with the ARM tool-chains, it isn't at all obvious.
Why would you need to set "float-abi=softfp" to enable VFP code? I only
know to do it because I've seen it before.

It's not about being too hard for people; given time, we can all look at
the code and work out what to poke into CFLAGS to get it to do what we
want, but it would be more productive for everyone if users could spend
that time using the library (and possibly contributing towards it)
rather than trying to get an optimal build from it. I would argue that
it should build the most optimal library by default, or should at least
document which flags to set for each platform.