[cairo] Text in Windows Metafiles (EMF)

Kozhevnikov Mikhail mikhailkozhevnikov at yandex.ru
Mon Mar 2 05:13:05 PST 2009

Hello,

The following code attempts to write some text to windows metafile using Cairo:
   HDC hdc = 0;
   hdc = CreateEnhMetaFile(NULL, "test.emf", NULL, NULL);
   StartPage(hdc);

   cairo_surface_t *surface = cairo_win32_printing_surface_create(hdc);
   cairo_t *cr = cairo_create(surface);

   cairo_rectangle(cr, 0, 0, 100, 100);
   cairo_set_source_rgb(cr, 0.5, 1, 0.5);
   cairo_fill(cr);

   cairo_move_to(cr, 0, 80);
   cairo_set_source_rgb(cr, 0, 0, 0);
   cairo_show_text(cr, "hello world");

   cairo_destroy(cr);
   cairo_surface_destroy(surface);

   EndPage(hdc);
   CloseEnhMetaFile(hdc);

Attached are results of the above code execution and the output of the same code when using PNG surface. On the first one the text is missing.

Any ideas why it might not work?

Details:
1) It looks like some drawing code for text is executed - if we use much larger font, the size of the image will be increased, as it is determined automatically.
2) I tried setting up font size and face, it doesn't fix the thing.

Considerations are appreciated!
Mikhail.