[cairo] Building Cairo on Vista?

Ian Britten britten at caris.com
Thu Mar 5 13:36:18 PST 2009

Hi all,
I'm solely a Linux developer, and am trying to help a [ non-Cairo,
Windows-only ] coworker get Cairo built on Vista.  It's not building
out-of-the-box, and we're trying to determine what's going on.
Note the problems so far seem to be with the build process/Makefiles,
not compiler errors, runtime problems, etc.

We're following the instructions in README.win32, using:
   - GNU make v3.81
   - Visual Studio 2008
   - Vista
   - no Cygwin
   - pixman 0.12  (Tried 0.14 too, with the same problem, below)
   - cairo 1.8.6

When running the given command (make -f Makefile.win32 CFG=release),
we get this error:
     'list' is not recognized as an internal or external command

We hit a different problem in pixman with the "@mkdir -p $(CFG_VAR)"
syntax in its Makefile.  The build seems to fail if the directory is
already present (And would almost alway be, due to the way the
directory creation is embedded in the compile-rule), halting the build.
We worked around that by deleting the mkdir line from the Makefile,
and manually making the directory before running make.

So, I guess I was wondering if someone could clarify the state of
Cairo on Vista?  Should it basically build out-of-the-box (Implying
that the problems we're seeing are something on our side)?  Or is
no one using Vista (Meaning the build may be untested/bit-rotten)?

Many thanks for any info!
Ian