[cairo] Can't build Cairo/Pixman

David Turner david at freetype.org
Wed Mar 25 07:42:43 PDT 2009

In the future, it might be useful to you to avoid installing new binaries
over existing ones.
The trick is generally to create a local directory where you will install
all the new libraries you're going to build, then adjust PATH,
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PKG_CONFIG_PATH to look there first. For example:

export LOCAL=$HOME/local
export PATH=$LOCAL/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LOCAL/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export MANPATH=$LOCAL/man:$MANPATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$LOCAL/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

then use --prefix=$LOCAL when configuring the build of each new libraries.

So when things go wrong, just remove the content of $LOCAL and
rebuild/reinstall.

There are a few things that won't pick the new $LOCAL paths though (anything
that isn't run by your uid, e.g. gdm, some Linux distributions also have
Firefox startup scripts that ignore $LD_LIBRARY_PATH too), but it's a great
way to test changes to low-level infrastructure like Pango / GTK / Cairo /
Pixman

Have fun