[cairo] HELP with making cairo

Damian Frank damian.frank at gmail.com
Fri May 15 09:22:58 PDT 2009

Sorry, this will be short as I'm on vacation with the family.  Your
problem most likely stems from building make yourself in an MSVC
environment; I expect this differs in important ways from what you get
from Cygwin.  I am not a make expert, nor have I ever done that, so
I'm just guessing.

I have successfully built Cairo on win32 in two ways.  I used Cygwin's
make from a cmd.exe shell (be sure your path includes cygwin's bin
dir) with MSVC.  This is relatively straightforward, as long as you
don't mind installing Cygwin.

I have also used MinGW/MSYS; in this case, you use the configure
script as you would in a unix-like environment, and you build with
MinGW's GCC.  Install info is here: http://www.mingw.org/wiki/msys  --
be sure to upgrade to gcc4 if you do this.

Which approach you use mainly depends on what kind of compiler you
want to use.  Currently my coworkers and I use MSYS because it makes
it possible to easily build all of the related software we also need,
such as pango and its dependencies, in the same environment with
minimal fuss.

Damian