[cairo] Video Hackfest conclusions

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Tue Nov 24 05:38:19 PST 2009

Excerpts from Gerdus van Zyl's message of Tue Nov 24 13:04:57 +0000 2009:
> Just out of curiosity will there be some sort of API added to Cairo to
> support pixel shaders? Does Mesa have a GLSL cpu path that could be
> used on non GL surfaces?

Pixel shaders won't happen before 1.10, that's certain. Mesa does not
yet expose that functionality, nor even do what it currently does well.
The hope is for a generic JIT compiler that could support GLSL and be
used for Mesa and elsewhere. Note that the inputs for pixel shaders in
Cairo will be much more constrained than for GLSL, this may allow for
further simplifications, or for mapping to SVG filters etc. And we must
not forget that pixel shaders are used more widely than just Cairo, GEGL
is one example that springs to mind where there is much overlap.
-ickle