[cairo] cairo documentation and license

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Nov 24 16:27:31 PST 2009

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 09:22:58 +0200, Marco Maggi <marco.maggi-ipsu at poste.it> wrote:
>   I am purely  new to Cairo; I am  writing a binding between
> Cairo  and a  programming language;  I use  Texinfo  for the
> documentation  and I  was thinking  to include  the original
> Cairo documentation reformatted in Texinfo.
>
>   Let's  say that  I succeed  in converting  Cairo's  doc to
> Texinfo  using docbook2texi  (not  tried yet),  what is  the
> doc's  license?   Is it  possible  to  embed  it in  a  Free
> Documentation License document or do I have to distribute a
> separate document with Cairo's doc only?

Cairo's documentation has been created within the source code of cairo
itself. This means the license of the documentation is identical to the
license of cairo itself, (the licensee's choice of LGPLv2.1 or MPLv1.1).

So please see if one of those license's works for what you need. If so,
you're all set. If not, you might be able to ask the authors of the
documentation to re-license it. But that might be difficult. So let us
know if you want to pursue that.

I hope that helps.